State secret: A Staged Tragedy by Chinese Authority: Self-Immolation in Tiananmen Square, 2001
“The (Chinese) regime points to a supposed self-immolation incident in Tiananmen Square on January 23, 2001 as proof that Falun Gong is an ‘evil cult’. However, we have obtained a video of that incident that in our view proves that this event was staged by the government. We have copies of that video available for distribution.”
- Statement in the United Nations, by International Education Development (IED), on Fifty-third session, Agenda item 6, Sub-Commission on the Promotion and Protection of Human Rights, August, 2001
False Fire (Documentary)– Analysis of China State-run CCTV’s Video Footage of the “Tiananmen Self-Immolation”
On January 23, 2001, the day before the Chinese Lunar New Year, it was reported by China state-controlled Xinhua Agency that 5 people set themselves on fire in Tiananmen Square in Beijing.
Two hours after the occurrence of the self-immolation, Xinhua broadcasted the English version of the news to the world, claiming the self-immolators were Falun Gong practitioners.
A week later, the Chinese government television station, CCTV, broadcast a program showing a video of the incident. In the video, the number of victims was increased from 5 to 7, including a severely burned 12-year-old girl Liu Siying, and Her mother Liu Chunling, who was died.
The Chinese government utilized this incident to intensify its campaign against Falun Gong by forcing every citizen to sign a form condemning Falun Gong.
By using the pictures of 12-year-old girl Liu Siying to foment the public’s hatred towards Falun Gong, the government hoped to justify the long-lasting violent crackdown against Falun Gong, which was started on July 20, 1999.
Holes can be found from CCTV’s Video:
1. Liu Siying, the 12-year-old girl who was allegedly burned badly, was purported to have had a tracheotomy, but spoke and sang clearly in a TV interview, a medical impossibility;
2. Ms. Liu Chunling, mother of the 12-year-old girl, can be seen from the slow-motion sequence of the CCTV video that she fell down when she was hited on the head by a blunt object thrown by a police; ( full sequence photo here)
3. Mr. Wang Jindong was shown to have been badly burned; while hair burns and plactic melts extremely quickly, his hair and the plastic Sprite bottle that he had used to dowse gasoline remained miraculously intact.
4. The Chinese media claimed that it was CNN journalists who recorded the close-up shots. CNN’s chief news executive, Eason Jordan, was quoted in the Washington Post as saying that “the footage used in the Chinese television reports could not have come from CNN videotape because the CNN cameraman was arrested almost immediately after the incident began.” CNN did not have a chance to shoot any footage.
…… and more. Please watch the above video yourself.
Washington Post: Reporter Finds Holes in China’s Tiananmen Immolation Story (Read this article)
National Review: Beijing is Burning – More lies from the PRC (Read the article )
MediaChannel: The Fires This Time:Immolation Or Deception In Beijing? (Read the article)
WOIPFG: Investigation Uncovers More Lies in Chinese Regime’s Story of Tragic Self-Immolation Incident (Read this article)
FalunInfo: Tiananmen: Court of Last Resort (Read this article)
Epochtimes: Tiananmen Square Self-Immolation? Actually a Hoax
Accusations bogus, but misperception lingers on four-year anniversary (Read this report)
Amnesty International: Another important part of the government’s propaganda campaign has been to publicise statements from people identified as former Falun Gong practitioners…? (Read this report)
Reporters Without Borders: China’s determination to prevent the foreign press from covering the activities and government repression of the Falungong clearly illustrates its rejection of independent news gathering.?/i> (Read this report)
Movie “False Fire” won award
The movie “False Fire: China’s Tragic New Standard in State Deception” which analyzes the 2001 Tiananmen Square “self-immolation” incident, won a Certificate of Honorable Mention at the 51st Columbus International Film & Video Festival. New Tang Dynasty TV, a non-profit privately owned Chinese TV station, produced the movie.
The award ceremony was held in the Kansas Center, Columbus Arts College, Columbus, Ohio.
– Xinhua: the world’s biggest propaganda agency, The Reporters Without Borders, 30 September 2005
– Youtube Video: What is Falun Gong (falun Dafa)
– Youtube Video: Why is Falun Gong persecuted in China
– List of China Modern Torture Methods (slideshow)