Hong Kong TV news chief quits over Jiang Zemin death report
Posted by Author on September 5, 2011
HONG KONG — A Hong Kong television station news chief and his deputy have resigned over an erroneous report that former Chinese president Jiang Zemin had died, the broadcaster said Tuesday.
Asia Television Ltd (ATV), one of two free-to-view broadcasters in the self-governed Chinese city, had cited unspecified sources on July 6 to report that the 85-year-old grandee had died.
It apologised for the error the following day, after China state media called the report “pure rumour”. Jiang reportedly still wields significant power in the Communist Party’s inner sanctum.
The mistake prompted Leung Ka-wing, ATV senior vice-president of news and public affairs, and his deputy to quit, an ATV spokeswoman told AFP.
Their resignation took effect immediately, she said.
“Why do I have to take full responsibility? It is because I failed to stop that news report from being aired despite my all-out efforts,” Leung told ATV News late Monday. He did not elaborate on his efforts.
Speculation that Jiang may be seriously ill surfaced after the former leader failed to appear at celebrations marking the Communist Party’s 90th birthday in early July.
He stepped down as the country’s president in 2003 after guiding the nation through more than a decade of blistering economic growth.
The incorrect report has also prompted Hong Kong’s broadcasting watchdog to launch an investigation on ATV last month after it received 41 complaints.
The station could face fines and a suspension of its licence if found guilty of violating broadcasting regulations. The broadcasting watchdog denied the probe was linked to any pressure from Beijing.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.