Worker at Foxconn affiliate falls to death in China
Posted by Author on July 21, 2010
AFP, July 20, 2010 –
BEIJING — A worker at an affiliate of technology giant Foxconn died Tuesday in south China after falling from a dorm building, state media said, after a spate of similar deaths hit the Taiwanese firm this year.
Foxconn — which assembles Apple’s iPhone — has seen a series of suicides in its Chinese plants this year that has put the spotlight on conditions for millions of factory workers in the “workshop of the world”.
A total of 11 Chinese employees have committed suicide this year at Foxconn plants by jumping from buildings, including 10 in the southern city of Shenzhen.
It was unclear whether the latest death was also suicide.
The official Xinhua news agency said the 18-year-old fell from the sixth floor of a building belonging to Chimei Innolux Corp.
Co-workers said the young man was an intern from the northern province of Hebei and had only started the summer job in Foshan city last month, the report said…….(more details from AFP)
- Click to email (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
This entry was posted on July 21, 2010 at 3:36 am and is filed under China, News, People, Social, South China, Worker, World. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.