Status of Chinese People

About China and Chinese people's living condition

  • China Organ Harvesting Report, in 19 languages

  • Torture methods used by China police

  • Censorship

  • Massive protests & riots in China

  • Top 9 Posts (In 48 hours)

  • All Topics

  • Books to Read

    1. A China More Just, Gao Zhisheng
    2.Officially Sanctioned Crime in China, He Qinglian
    3.
    Will the Boat Sink the Water? Chen Guidi, Wu Chuntao
    4.
    Losing the New China, Ethan Gutmann
    5.
    Nine Commentaries on The Communist Party, the Epochtimes
  • Did you know

    Reporters Without Borders said in it’s 2005 special report titled “Xinhua: the world’s biggest propaganda agency”, that “Xinhua remains the voice of the sole party”, “particularly during the SARS epidemic, Xinhua has for last few months been putting out news reports embarrassing to the government, but they are designed to fool the international community, since they are not published in Chinese.”
  • RSS Feeds for Category

    Organ Harvesting

    Human Rights

    Made in China

    Food

    Health

    Environment

    Protest

    Law

    Politics

    Feed address for any specific category is Category address followed by 'Feed/'.

  • Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

    Join 223 other followers

Three Editors Sacked Over Tiananmen Massacre Ad: China

Posted by Author on June 7, 2007

Reporters Without Borders, 7 June 2007-

Reporters Without Borders today condemned the sacking of three senior editorial staff on a Chengdu daily in the southwest China, that carried an advertisement saluting mothers of victims of the 4 June 1989 Tiananmen Square massacre in which thousands of demonstrators died – to which all reference is banned in China.

“These three journalists are innocent victims twice over,” the worldwide press freedom organisation said. “They let through this ad, because one of their staff didn’t know what happened on 4 June 1989, so relentless is censorship about this episode.”

“These journalists have as a result fallen victim to a purge, which is typical of this government. We call on the authorities to lift these sanctions and to put an end to the censorship of the events of 4 June 1989”, it said.

The organisation said it also feared that whoever sent in the advertisement to the paper would be arrested and given a harsh prison sentence.

The Reuters news agency reported today that three editorial staff on Chengdu Wanbao in Sichuan province had been dismissed for letting through a one-line advertisement paying tribute to the brave mothers of 4 June, in reference to the mothers of the victims who keep alive the memory of their children and seek justice for them.

The deputy chief editor, Li Zhaojun, is reportedly one of those hit by the dismissal, which was decided on after an official investigation. The previous evening a Hong Kong daily said that the young employee who passed the ad did not know about the events of June 1989.

She did however phone the person who placed the ad to ask for an explanation and he told her it was in tribute to the victims of a mining accident. Two other papers in Chengdu were asked to take the same ad but its editorial staff refused to take it, realising the risks involved.

For the past 18 years, the government, through its propaganda department has banned all reference to the events in Tiananmen Square on 4 June 1989, in which thousands died.

orginal report from Reporters Without Borders

More about Tiananmen Square massacre

Video: Tiananmen Square Massacre 18 Years Ago in China
China: Tiananmen Legacy Defies Olympic Gloss, Human Rights Watch, June 1, 2007

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.