Videos: Tiananmen Square Massacre 18 Years Ago in China
Posted by Author on June 3, 2007
Do you know why the words “Tiananman” and “June 4” are both on China’s block list and are censored all the time on Internet ? Because it’s related to a massacre China government tried to cover up in these recent 18 years.
Here’s a video report by CBC 18 years ago about the massacre happened in China’s capital City Beijing:
In the spring of 1989, college students in China led a pro-democracy movement, calling for freedom, democracy, less corruption, and more transparency from China’s Communist leaders. Their protest was peaceful, non-violent, and the protesters were unarmed.
Their protest also caught on widely, drawing in intellectuals, journalists, and labor leaders. (China Support Net)
The students gathered togather in Beijing’s Tiananmen Square, erected a statue that resembled the Statue of Liberty. Their version was dubbed the Goddess of Democracy.
Millions of people in Beijing joined them. And also, besides beijing, students gained support from almost all classes of the Chinese society from all over the country including many high ranking officials.
But finally at the night of June 3, 1989, the communist leaders decided to crack down on the student movement and called in the army.
Chinese tanks and troops opened fire to students with live ammunition as they swept into Tiananmen Square.
About 3,000 people were killed, and about 10,000 wounded.
But the Chinese government declared later after the massacre that :
– There’s no students been killed and no massacre happened on Tiananmen square;
– On the contrary, there were soldiers been killed by “Mob”
Till today, the massacre is still called as “riot” by the Communist government.
Here’s another Documentary video in Google, “The cutting edge: Tank Man”, about the the massacre, the brave Tank Man who stand in front of and blocked the tanks, and the human rights in China. 52 minutes long. Highly recommanded to everybody.
– China: Tiananmen Legacy Defies Olympic Gloss, Human Rights Watch, June 1, 2007
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
This entry was posted on June 3, 2007 at 12:24 am and is filed under Beijing, China, Human Rights, Incident, June 4, Killing, Law, military, News, People, Politics, Report, Social, Special day, Speech, Student, Tiananmen, Video, World. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.
9 Responses to “Videos: Tiananmen Square Massacre 18 Years Ago in China”
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.