China Modern Torture Methods (12)- “Hell Confinement”
Posted by chinaview on May 20, 2007
Evidence has surfaced of over 100 torture methods being employed against Falun Gong practitioners in China’s labour camps, detention centers, and mental hospitals.
The “Hell Confinement” (or “Di Lao”) device includes a pair of handcuffs and a pair of foot-shackles, which are linked together with crossed steel or iron chains. There are two types, one shown in a) and the other b). The handcuff length in a) is 1.2 feet and the distance from the handcuff to foot-shackle is 1.5 feet. The foot-shackle in b) is not movable, thus it rubs the feet and causes bleeding. Such instruments make it very difficult and some-times impossible for victims to walk, sit down, use the toilet or feed themselves.
1. Zhu Hang, female, Associate Professor of Department of Humanity and Social Sciences, Dalian University of Science and Technology
Ms. Zhu Hang was arrested while practicing the Falun Gong exercises in a park on August 30, 1999, charged with “disrupting social order with feudalistic superstition.” When detained in the Dalian Yaojia Detention Center located in Nanguanling, she went through unimaginable suffering, inhumane treatment, and torture.
She was tortured with the “Hell Confinement” device that held her limbs too tight to move. As a result, she was not allowed to use the toilet or eat on her own.
After 7 days and nights, the authorities started to worry about a possible “life threatening” condition, and ordered several guards to force her to eat by prying spoons into her mouth, ruthlessly, which caused severe injury in her mouth. Later, they installed a pipe in her nose to force liquid into her.
She finally lost consciousness because of the torture, and was sent to the People’s No. 2 Hospital in Dalian for recovery.
Because of the “Hell Confinement” device, now her left foot is swollen to almost double its normal size. Her right foot is better but still has many injuries. She could not open her mouth to speak well. The doctor is infusing a liquid in her. Because of the bandages, accurate pictures of injuries cannot be taken at this time.
2. Yang Xiujian, female 33, resident of Dalian City, Liaoning Province
On August 30, 1999, Ms. Yang Xiujian was arrested and detained at the Dalian Yaojia Detention Center. On September 4, 1999, Ms. Yang was handcuffed to a window rail. She was not able to sit or lie down, and she was handcuffed in this awkward position for more than thirty hours.
On September 8, 1999 she was put in the “Di Lao” device. Her menstrual period started that evening but the guards refused to remove the “Di Lao” device from her. She was not even allowed to change clothes. The guards even made her move from one cell to another with the “Di Lao” device on.
The shackle gouged a hole in her foot.
3. Zhang Chunqing, female 58, resident of Dalian City, Liaoning Province
On September 3, 1999, Ms. Zhang Chunqing was arrested for practicing Falun Gong exercises in a public park and was detained at the Dalian Yaojia Detention Center.
On September 5, 1999, Ms. Zhang was shackled with the “Di Lao” device because she refused to renounce Falun Gong. She could not walk and had to crawl back to her cell after the “Di Lao” device was put on her. She remained shackled this way for two days and nights.
(picture was taken 7 Days after hospital treatment)
On September 9, 1999, the guards saw Ms. Zhang doing Falun Gong exercises. They slapped her with large, hard binders, and put the “Di Lao” on her again.
– List of China Modern Torture Methods (slide show)
– China: 2508 Family Members’Open Letter Expose Torture, the Epoch Times, Dec 11, 2006
– Lawyer’s 3rd open letter urge China to stop the Brutality(1), December 12, 2005, Gao Zhisheng
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on StumbleUpon (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
This entry was posted on May 20, 2007 at 7:06 pm and is filed under China, Falun Gong, Human Rights, Labor camp, Law, News, People, Photo, Politics, Religion, Religious, Social, Torture, Women. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.
4 Responses to “China Modern Torture Methods (12)- “Hell Confinement””
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.