Status of Chinese People

About China and Chinese people's living condition

  • China Organ Harvesting Report, in 19 languages

  • Torture methods used by China police

  • Censorship

  • Massive protests & riots in China

  • Top 9 Posts (In 48 hours)

  • All Topics

  • Books to Read

    1. A China More Just, Gao Zhisheng
    2.Officially Sanctioned Crime in China, He Qinglian
    Will the Boat Sink the Water? Chen Guidi, Wu Chuntao
    Losing the New China, Ethan Gutmann
    Nine Commentaries on The Communist Party, the Epochtimes
  • Did you know

    Reporters Without Borders said in it’s 2005 special report titled “Xinhua: the world’s biggest propaganda agency”, that “Xinhua remains the voice of the sole party”, “particularly during the SARS epidemic, Xinhua has for last few months been putting out news reports embarrassing to the government, but they are designed to fool the international community, since they are not published in Chinese.”
  • RSS Feeds for Category

    Organ Harvesting

    Human Rights

    Made in China







    Feed address for any specific category is Category address followed by 'Feed/'.

  • Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

    Join 223 other followers

Prominent Falun Gong Practitioner Dead from Torture

Posted by Author on November 7, 2006

The Falun Dafa Infocenter, 11/5/2006-Mr. Zhang Zhong

NEW YORK, November 3— The Falun Dafa Infocenter is deeply troubled by the recent death (on October 16, 2006) , who had been subjected to prolonged torture and ill-treatment in police custody.

(photo: Mr. Zhang Zhong)

Zhang was a 35-year old man from Heilongjiang province. He reportedly took part in the bold and courageous effort to tap into Chinese state-controlled television on March 5, 2002 to expose the persecution of Falun Gong.

Since 1999, Chinese television across the country has attempted to incite hatred and violence against Falun Gong practitioners. The 2002 broadcast in northeastern China’s Changchun city reportedly shocked top Chinese Communist Party officials and led to former CCP leader Jiang Zemin ordering police to “kill [those responsible for the broadcast] without pardon.” According to reports from Changchun, police raided houses and arrested some 5,000 Falun Gong practitioners within three days that March (see: On April 19, 2002 Zhang was arrested and sentenced to 12 years in prison.

With his death, Zhang joins Mr. Liu Chengjun, whose case had been highlighted by Amnesty International, and Mr. Lei Ming, as Falun Gong practitioners tortured to death after being sentenced to long prison terms for participating in the broadcast. Others, such as Mr. Liang Zhenxing, remain in critical condition. (see:

Zhang was tortured severely at the Daqing City Prison where he was held. On January 15, 2004 he was discovered doing Falun Gong exercises in his cell. Prison guard Li Fangjie then sent him to a disciplinary room where guards bashed his head until Zhang lost consciousness. Guards then stabbed Zhang’s head and hands with needles; he did not respond, so they kicked him in the stomach. After that, he began to spit blood and vomit whatever he ate for a period of six months.

Zhang was also whipped in the face with belts, nearly suffocated to death by plastic bags forced over his head, and stripped and doused with cold water in freezing temperatures, among other things.

After nearly two years of torture at Daqing, which left Zhang unconscious and paralyzed, he was released on July 23, 2004. The Infocenter believes he was released because he was on the brink of death and, since his case was being monitored overseas, Chinese authorities did not want him to die in custody.

But when he was strong enough to do so, Zhang exposed via the Internet details of the torture he had suffered and included electronic images of his broken and emaciated body (see: This led Daqing Prison authorities to dispatch a pursuit team to arrest him again. Zhang managed to evade them for quite some time by living away from home, but was finally rearrested on August 10, 2006, along with eighteen other Falun Gong practitioners.

Among the group, Zhang and one other man were reportedly tortured the most severely. After ten days of detention, Zhang was transferred to Harbin City Police Hospital. He eventually died there on October 16, 2006. His parents went to the prison hospital that day but were not allowed see his body, and authorities refused to issue a death certificate.

“Those responsible for Zhang Zhong’s death must be held accountable,” said Infocenter spokesperson Levi Browde. “The Falun Dafa Infocenter calls for an investigation by outside organizations of the circumstances leading to Zhang’s death.”

“The continued, flagrant state-sanctioned murder of Falun Gong practitioners in China simply cannot continue,” Browde said. “Unfortunately, we have yet to see any sign of remorse on the part of senior Chinese Communist Party officials for all the suffering they have caused. Accounts of cruelty against Falun Gong practitioners in China continue to pour in daily.”

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.